Miracle Miles 5K Race ~ Saturday
My Saturday, 9/26/09 started really early @ 5a.m.!!! =O
As I had the following to do before race time:
- Get dressed in my running apparell.
- Eat my breakfast of a Carrot Cake “Cliff” Bar and a bottle of water (on the road).
- Get gas, on E!
- Meet my friend at 6:15a.m. and we could head to the race.
After I met my friend we drove to the race site, parked, visited the restroom “outhouses” and then got in line and waited to her the horn! I have to admit I was a bit nervous as it has been 4 months since my last 5K and even though I finished that race I did not finish it strong as I hit the wall around mile 2, because it was so hot and the sun bright as bright can be back in May here in “sunny” Florida. However, this race morning it was beautiful, yes alittle warm (70+ degrees) and slightly humid, but there was a nice breeze and I was ready go do.
Let me give you a play by play of the actual race:
- RING, the race has started! =)
- We are standing in the middle so it took a minute or so to get to the actual start line, but once we hit it we were off……..
- From the start we took it slow and steady, espically since we were surrounded by hundreds of other people and some “walkers” we had to run around.
- Once we were about a 1/2 a mile in we were in our “groove” and chatting a little bit. I was feeling great and very happy as I wasn’t sure how I would do after a week off of running and still being slightly congested.
- We hit Mile 1 at around 11 minutes, however it was more like 10 minutes for us since it took about a minute to actually cross the “start line”.
- At that point we increased our speed slightly and headed onto the brick roads in a older more beautiful part of Orlando and ran around a cute little park with a pond and a few Roasters on the side siting on a bench that were waking those that were sleeping soundly in the surrounding houses.
- Then we came upon Mile 2 and I did not hear the time as I had my iPod blasting. Both of us were trying to keep good pace at this point and were focused on the road. Now, I typically (in the past) hit the wall at this point and start to slow down……..however I didn’t this time and kept running along side my friend.
- I started to recognize the roads and knew the finish line was not that far ahead. This made me very happy, but unfortunately my energy was zapped and I could not speed up and even started to feel a little sick to my stomach at this point.
- Then, lucky me, we hit Mile 3 and could see the FINISH LINE up ahead. Of course, this is where a slight hill came upon us and I struggled slightly up it but after I started to increase my speed slighty and crossed the finish line right before 34 minutes, which was actually 33 MINUTES for me!
- I slowed to a walk, felt like I might throw up, got a bottled water & towel from “Chick Fil A” and kept walking……..then I got a few of the free goodies and headed with my friend to the car.
I was so excited and happy afterwards!!! =)
I finished the race semi-strong, did not stop once, kept a good pace and finished in “33 Minutes”, which is 5 minutes faster than my race time last year! A new PR for me! =)
As I headed home, I munched on some of the free goodies from the race (ok, I will admit it, I ate the Chick Fil A sandwich, I couldn’t help it I was starving and it smelled so good, sorry no picture) and I then got home around 8:30a.m. My husband was waiting for me on the couch and I relaxed with him for a bit as I told him about the race, then I headed up stairs and took a nice long shower.
Come late morning I headed out to do my grocery shopping and stop at Walmart to get some plant dirt and my husband is going to help me plant these beautiful Bromelaids I got on Friday.
After shopping and putting the groceries away……..I whipped up some chicken salads for the hubby & myself (with romaine lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, celery, cherry tomatoes, tortia strips and southwest dressing) for lunch.
Once lunch was over, dishes washed, the load of laundry I started before folded and put away I passed out for 2 hours as I was EXHAUSTED! My daughter woke me up just before 6pm, luckily, as dinner would need to be addressed soon.
After I was up & Adam, I realized I was still quite tired and decided dinner would be quickly made spaghetti for my daughter and take out Chipolte for my husband and me. I got Steak Burrito for my husband and a Burrito Bowl for myself that was full of rice, black beans, fajita veggies, chicken, corn, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese & sour cream (a bit more than I needed, but it was yummy).
Of course I only hate 1/2 of it as and saved the rest for lunch tomorrow. =)
We veggied as a family the rest of the night watching Animal Plant and all of us went to bed early.
As promised yesterday, I will be posting the Tips Of The Day soon (Monday)!
Have a great rest of the weekend! =)